Impressive stats about Serena Williams:
- Started playing tennis at the age of 3 according to her father.
- She was coached mostly by her father and practiced with sister Venus.
- She was playing and dominating in national junior's tournaments at the age of 10.
- She was only 17 when she won her first major title.
- Her highest recorded serve speed is 128.6 mph
- She once set a record for the most aces (102) in a tournament, even among men.
- She holds the most Grand Slam titles in singles, doubles and mixed doubles tennis.
- In 2010 she became a certified nail technician.
- She has competed in 3 Olympics and won 4 gold medals (competing in singles and doubles in one year).
- Competing still at the age of 37, she holds the record for most years between U.S. Open title wins.
- She was a backup dancer in one of Beyonce's music videos, Sorry.
- She is known in tennis for her incredible comebacks in matches.
- Her charity,The Serena Williams Foundation has funded the building of schools in Kenya and Jamaica.
- She has been an International Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
- Her sister Venus and her have also founded the Yetunde Price Resource Center, which helps families affected by violence in Compton, CA.
Favorite Serena Williams quotes.
"The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble."
"Family's first, and that's what matters most. We realize that our love goes deeper than the tennis game."
"I decided I can’t pay a person to rewind time, so I may as well get over it."
"With a defeat, when you lose, you get up, you make it better, you try again. That’s what I do in life, when I get down, when I get sick, I don’t want to just stop. I keep going and I try to do more. Everyone always says never give up but you really have to take that to heart and really do never definitely give up. Keep trying."
"Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come."
"I don’t like to lose — at anything… Yet I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks. If winning is God’s reward, then losing is how he teaches us."
"You can be whatever size you are, and you can be beautiful both inside and out. We’re always told what’s beautiful and what’s not, and that’s not right."
"Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good."
"I think in life you should work on yourself until the day you die."